1. Just about every song in Mary Poppins. Yes, even ‘Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious’.
2. If anyone knows why whispering the last line of Where the Wild Things Are – ‘And it was still…hot‘ – should make tears prick in the back of my eyes, please tell me. Am I allergic to dramatic emphasis?
3. ‘Some birds aren’t meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright’. Oh, say again, Morgan Freeman? I’m sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of my own RAGGED SOBS.
4. This episode of Alphablocks – which, if you’ve never seen it, is a world of demented boxy letters with legs, each with a personality taken from One-Dimensional Casting Central. I pity poor O, who doesn’t even get a voice and has to settle for hooting like a lunatic. But oh, that sad song. Q really does need U to give her spelling life meaning, and he clearly hates her granny guts.
5. The smell of Henry’s new Crayola crayons. Can’t explain this one. Proustian flashback to early childhood?
6. My own – yes, my own – single-handed shower performance of the ‘A Little Fall of Rain’ duet from Les Miserables. I remember this from last time – I used to skip this song because it was too cheesy even for toast. Suddenly I couldn’t get to the end of the track without sniffling. Now even my goat-like warblings are enough to set me off.
7. Tim is working from home today. I remember at 4am, and am so grateful, I cry all the way through my seventh toilet break of the night. (ENOUGH, BLADDER.)
8. The insane rightness of my new MAC lipstick (dudes. Ruby Woo. Life-changer).
Please, hormones, settle down soon. I understand about the lipstick, but Alphablocks was a step too far.